Tash-hauli Palace

 

Tash-hauli Palace was built in stages in 1830-1838 at the same time as other structures at the east gates of Ichan-kala, where the main public centre was located.

The dimensions - 80x80m, dimensions of harem 80x42m, courtyard of harem 49x15m

 

 

 

             


            



                          Kunya-Ark

 

Kunya-Ark means “An Old Fortress”. That is what the citadel in Khiva has been called since the 1830s, instead of Tash-hauli “A New Palace”. The construction of the walls of Kunya-Ark was initiated by Arang-khan, the son of Anusha-khan, in 1686-1688. Judging by the dates inscribed on the facing, the building and decoration of Kunya-Ark did not cease throughout the 19th century. The palace and stronghold included several courtyards, where accommodated were: the throne-hall, harem, arsenal, mint, cookhouse and garrison.

The dimensions on the whole – 130x93m, dimensions of harem – 62x35.8m, dimension of courtyard-34x29

 

    

 




              Juma-Mosque in Khiva

 

Juma-Mosque in Khiva was founded as far back as the 10th century, according to Makdisi, an Arabian geographer. The present structure was built by Abdurahman Mihtar, one of the Khan’s high officials, at the close of the 18th century, as the Khiva historian Munis certifies. Juma-Mosque is a multi-pillared (hypostyle) mosque. Its bulky proportions, which were split and roofed with plane beams, accommodated the entire male population attending public worship on Fridays. The roofing with three apertures is supported by 212 wooden columns placed at a distance of 3.15 m from each other. 25 of them originate from the 10th -16th centuries. Four of these columns (the 10th -11th centuries), which were put up by order of Fakikh Abu-l Fadl-al-Muhammad Lyaisi, which the calligraphic inscriptions on them testify to, are distinct for the style of fretwork. On a marble board to the right of the mikhrab, which worshippers faced during divine service, a vakf-nameh text is inscribed-deeds certifying the proprietorship and returns of the Mosque. There is an inscription of the date-1203 hijra (1788-1789) on the door of the entry in the south.

The dimensions – 55x46m, the height – up to 5 m.

 

                

          The caravanserai of Alla-kuli-khan

 

The caravanserai of Alla-kuli-khan was erected opposite Tash-hauli Palace in 1832-1833 beyond the walls of Ichan-kala, which were pulled down at that place. Its necessity was given rise to by the interests of developing world trade. It is the only caravanserai left intact in Khorezm today. The structure is rectangled and stratches from south to north; a spacious courtyard is shut-in with small inhabited rooms and storage facilities erected in two storeys. The portal and shops faced the main front. This way, the caravanserai in Khiva reproduced an ancient type of building of this kind.

The dimensions – 69x58m, the courtyard – 46.3x42.4m

                         

 

 

                


The caravanserai of Alla-kuli-khan

 

The caravanserai of Alla-kuli-khan was erected opposite Tash-hauli Palace in 1832-1833 beyond the walls of Ichan-kala, which were pulled down at that place. Its necessity was given rise to by the interests of developing world trade. It is the only caravanserai left intact in Khorezm today. The structure is rectangled and stratches from south to north; a spacious courtyard is shut-in with small inhabited rooms and storage facilities erected in two storeys. The portal and shops faced the main front. This way, the caravanserai in Khiva reproduced an ancient type of building of this kind.

The dimensions – 69x58 m, the courtyard – 46.3x42.4

      

 

 

 



logo

2011 - Anno delle piccole imprese e dell'imprenditoria privata


logo_SCO